GHS Logo

Greenwich Municipal Center Historic District

Greenwich’s scattered settlement pattern did not produce an acknowledged municipal focus until it entered into its most rapid period of growth between 1890 and 1930. All of the buildings in the municipal district were erected on vacant farmland in a short period between 1893 and 1938, an era when wealthy benefactors began to view Greenwich as their home. The first of these buildings was the Havemeyer School (1893) with large acreage that gradually began to serve as a public common. The district consisted of three war memorials and six masonry buildings erected in the Romanesque Revival, Neo-classical and Art Deco styles. They included the old Town Hall (1905), old Town Hall Annex (built as the Town’s first high school in 1906), former Post Office (1917), today’s Town Hall (built as the Town’s second high school in 1925) and a Central Fire House and Police Station (1938, demolished in 2014). 

Read the National Register Historic District Nomination >

Greenwich Historical Society 39 Strickland Road, Cos Cob, CT 06807 203-869-6899


©2017 Greenwich Historical Society. All rights reserved.